Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?  (Read 1456 times)

I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?
« on: Apr 09, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Ok.  I got my awesome GBMando in the mail... 

So, I cut out the visor "T"...

And did a bit of sanding on the bottom.  So now what? 

Does anyone have a good example or tutorial of how the ear/rangefinder go? 

And those little vent looking things in the back, do I cut them out?

Lastly, there is some mesh around the bottom that didn't look like it got completely covered...  Do I need to bondo it up or anything?

Buy'ce: 95%
Weapons loadout: 75%
Beskar'gam: 90%
Soft parts: 95%

Thaxos

• Moose'alor
  • The Original Mando Tough
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
Re: I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Looks like an excellent helmet.

Depends on what sort of kit you got for them, I imagine it's as simple as gluing the pieces on.
Not sure what GB supplies for the RF as to if you can make it swivel.

Personal preference if you wish to cut out the keyslots at the back, seems about half do, half don't.

Unless the mesh texture bothers you, I don't see any reason to bondo over it. It's not going to be visibly noticeable when you're wearing the helmet.
-----
Bearded Mando #000
-----
Mando Rider #003
-----
Name Change Requirements.
-----
Question, suggestion, concern, etc. about the forums?
Send me a PM!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2012, 12:31 AM »
Ah...  And so now I find out that I shouldn't have cut the visor "T" until I was ready to install the visor.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2012, 02:11 AM »
And inside, I am going to try to keep it simple, and use some industrial strength velcro, and just use the pads from the inside of my army helmet (that has pads that just stick to velcro)

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:49 AM »
One benefit of cutting the slots is airflow, also just cover the visor in masking tape and install till you get the bucket finished.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:10 AM »
I've got a GB fall 08 BF bucket. He told me to wash it really good and make sure it was totally dry before doing anything with it. He had a thread somewhere on the forum about how to prepare the helmet...but it's possible it got eaten. Lucky you, you didn't get one with the dent in the noggin  :rolleyes: lol

Before you start painting make sure to give it a nice but not too rough sanding, a quick wash and dry then prime it. I forget the kind I used. It came out military green grey when dried but worked really good.

I cut out my visor before I painted too lol I found it was...prudent thing to do, and filled in the open space with tape like Kel mentioned.

Good luck!
Aden Catra - The Rage of the Night Sky

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:13 AM »
I cut out my T before paint too, lets you paint the inside edge of the visor area.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:21 AM »
Exactly, unless you plan on doing the areas around the visor by hand like I did. All the purple, blue and black on my kit is all hand painted acrylic... Imho though, hand painting does have a benifit. You can get much better detail than you can with just spraying on with a stencil or using tape...

Anyways... If ya need more help, just ask :)

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Speaking of visors...  What would you recommend?  I have seen bikerchick recommended a lot, and #5 shade shields recommended...  I want one that my face will not be seen, but would also like to be able to see SOME indoors.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2012, 11:11 AM »
I bought a replacement clear safety visor from Ace hardware. I made a pattern and cut the puppy out. But I got stuck with having to need tinting. If you can avoid the last part, tinting, go for it! I might upgrade to that too. But I'm unsure how it will take to being heated and shaped. That's something someone else will have to answer.

Speaking of pattern...wonder where the heck it went... Anyway, you'll have to make a pattern yourself (oh, real fun... lol). It'll look like a really fat "T" with the underside of the "-" part angling upward. I'm unsure if other bucket visors are shaped like that...

Hoped this helped a little.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2012, 12:33 PM »
#5 welding shield, easy to cut and install. Cheap and looks black from the outside, I will never use anything else.

Thaxos

• Moose'alor
  • The Original Mando Tough
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2012, 01:12 PM »
I always paint my helmet after cutting the visor out.

What I think the advice really pertains to, is that if you drop your helmet, it's far more likely to break when there's no visor installed as it doesn't lend to the structural integrity of the helmet.

Just be extra careful with it until the visor is in  ;)
-----
Bearded Mando #000
-----
Mando Rider #003
-----
Name Change Requirements.
-----
Question, suggestion, concern, etc. about the forums?
Send me a PM!

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2012, 02:38 PM »
I always paint my helmet after cutting the visor out.

What I think the advice really pertains to, is that if you drop your helmet, it's far more likely to break when there's no visor installed as it doesn't lend to the structural integrity of the helmet.

Just be extra careful with it until the visor is in  ;)

That is not an issue...  That thing is my baby...  I will probably also just take some masking tape, and attach a piece of cardboard on the inside to make it a bit more sturdy.  Then, I can just pull the cardboard after painting. 

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Speaking of visors...  What would you recommend?  I have seen bikerchick recommended a lot, and #5 shade shields recommended...  I want one that my face will not be seen, but would also like to be able to see SOME indoors.

well, if your looking for cost effective and that "I made it myself"  Check out my Scratch build visor thread: 

http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=49812.0

Killing threads since 2013

« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:23 PM »
for the visor i used a fibre-metal shade 5 faceshield. i dont know about everyone else, but i bondo'd the earpieces on, and filled the gap between the helmet and top right piece with bondo as well, sanded it down so it was more or less even, then sealed all the visible bondo with jb weld epoxy. (the epoxy seems to smooth itself out into an even smooth coat, and its harder than bondo). then i propmtly screwed up the paint job.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!