Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?  (Read 1457 times)

Saz

• I see moose people...
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
Re: I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2012, 06:21 PM »
The mesh is just fiber matting that hasn't totally clung to the shell, I would, as a precaution throw a smooth layer of bondo over there, especially near the edges as the bucket can chip without the full backing there.

Your bucket needs washing because no doubt the helmet has been cut to the tideline (the neck of the plug) and will have had some preliminary dust and gunk on it, it's a precaution to ensure that the paint sticks to the bucket.

Apart from that, be patient, wait a full day before going to the next layer, I would also use heat on the bucket to seal the paint if it is a car spray paint.

Apply primer, rub back with wet and dry, then spray again, that should give you a lovely surface to start your painting.

Finally, it's your choice to cut out the keyslots, but, as Kel says, many do, just to help airflow.
]
Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

I am NOT a Moose!

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2012, 11:46 PM »
The mesh is just fiber matting that hasn't totally clung to the shell, I would, as a precaution throw a smooth layer of bondo over there, especially near the edges as the bucket can chip without the full backing there.

Your bucket needs washing because no doubt the helmet has been cut to the tideline (the neck of the plug) and will have had some preliminary dust and gunk on it, it's a precaution to ensure that the paint sticks to the bucket.

Apart from that, be patient, wait a full day before going to the next layer, I would also use heat on the bucket to seal the paint if it is a car spray paint.

Apply primer, rub back with wet and dry, then spray again, that should give you a lovely surface to start your painting.

Finally, it's your choice to cut out the keyslots, but, as Kel says, many do, just to help airflow.

Not using car paint...  Using the high end rustoleum offering as the base coat/color.  Primer+paint, and had good experience with it on regular plastic when I did up my wife's Babydoll .45... 

I think I will probably cut out the keyslots then.  Do I need to cover them on the inside if I do?
Buy'ce: 95%
Weapons loadout: 75%
Beskar'gam: 90%
Soft parts: 95%

« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Ok, so, been working my sheb off on the buy'ce:

the visor cut out...

the ear pieces attached...

the keyholes cut...

the inside bondo'd

About to go start laying down basecoats of Rustoleum universal "dark steel"

« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2012, 05:31 PM »
No need to cover the vent at the back mate, some folk use mesh or the printed circuit board. Most paint the inside black then its not a problem. Do you have the top part of the right earcap and RF ? just wondered.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I do have the top piece of the earcap (but no RF or stalk), and not sure what I am going to eventually do higher up on it...  So, have left it off for now.  Already planned on covering the inside of the keyholes probably with some kind of mesh or screen in order to still allow some air. 

« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Got my base coats down...

Next is wet sanding the base with 600 grit, applying liquid masking for weathering, and laying the black coat down over the base...

« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2012, 09:35 PM »
And I have continued to work on my buy'ce, wet sanding the metallic prime coat, spot liquid masking, and now laying down a base coat of black.  I should have taken more shots after I touched it up a bit to get rid of some of the orange peeling, but am not too concerned about it, seeing as how 1.) they are supposed to look worn,  2.) the only part remaining actually black are the keyholes and cheeks, everything else will either be navy blue or light grey...  and 3.) the weathering and matte clearcoat at the end should make any OPing invisible.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:13 PM »
...and after my primer coat and black basecoat...  I am amazed at just how heavy it is starting to get...  I never really thought about how much paint weighs.

Adenn Kyram

• M-A #016 -24er EMTS #90 M.A.J.I.C. #086 M.A.D#27
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Yep paint adds quite a bit of extra  weight . But makes the brain buckets look great tho.  :D
There is no such thing as overkill only efficiency.

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:54 AM »
did you mean to leave off the rangefinder mount? mine is epoxied on and filled the gap with bondo.
[edit] nevermind, i should read the whole thread first. doh![/edit]
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2012, 12:58 AM by khoweyEMT »

« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Okey...  So now I have masked off everything for the navy blue coat...  And tomorrow or Friday, the grey coat...  then all that will be left is the weathering.

« Reply #26 on: Apr 28, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Ok, I skipped a couple of steps...

But here it is, now at 90%.  All that is left is to sand around the damage on the grey layer, charcoal weather, matte coat, glue in the visor, and (maybe) spray the inside with some plastidip.

For this to be my first major paint/weather experience, I am pretty happy with it. 

Thoughts?

;D

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Bringing Vengeance to the Galaxy
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Kaden's Facebook Page
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Apr 29, 2012, 01:11 AM »
Looks pretty good, vod.  You did a nice job with the layering of paint.
Manda'galaar Clan Los Angeles, CA (USA)      "Hell Hath No Fury Like Mando Vengeance"     M.A.J.I.C. Member #0051

Saz

• I see moose people...
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Apr 29, 2012, 05:21 AM »
You've got the spots down ok, but you are missing the scratches, I see you've distressed and rubbed the paint a little, now you just need a low grit sandpaper to gouge the scratch wear and tear.
]
Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

I am NOT a Moose!

Rokeim Gekla

• The Defiler
  • Was in the pool :(
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Apr 29, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Also a good layer of grime wouldnt hurt either.   Black chalk dust + sealer is a good method,  misting black paint is another.. there are many ways to grime up a bucket :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!