OK, so a bit of progress to report. Once I received the heat gun, I started working with some PVC I had lying around. I cut the tube along the length, heated it until it was malleable, and flattened it out under a sheet of plywood. Worked like a charm! So then I begain thinking, what can I do with it now...
I took a look at the WOF ear templates and made a run of it.
The piece on the left is the standard design. The piece on the right is my crazy brain child...
I took the templates and cut out two pieces to get the thickness I needed. The odd part missing in the middle is where the existing ear cap fits in.
Since the ear caps on the SC aren't perfectly square to the helmet, I had to curve the side that fits against the helmet to get a nice tight fit
Here is how it fit to the helmet. You will see I marked with pencil the area of the existing ear that needed to be removed in order for it to be flat with the new pieces.
This was the "Point of no return" for me when I took the rasp and started to remove the exiting ear cap
Once that was fit, I then cut out the piece that the stalk would fit into and allow it to move.
Getting excited, I had to take these shots just to see how it would look!
I then took the outer portion of the ear cap I constructed out of cardboard & traced it twice onto PVC pieces. I cut them out, Gorilla Glued them together, and sculpted the final shape. At this point, I put the pieces together with tape just for the pictures. I am going to use bolts to attach the inner ear pieces to the helmet, and then rare earth magnets to the outside piece to hold it on. I will also add a few pegs so the alignment is correct and doesn't allow the magnets to slip if bumped. The RF stalk fits onto a small post on the inside of the outer ear piece. With this setup, it will allow a usable RF stalk, but also allow me to disassemble it for storage or travel.
Not to mention it gives me the opportunity to have different RF's and stalks that will be interchangeable depending on the event.
In the last pic, it does look like it's pulling away from the helmet, which it is due to the temporary tape fixture.
Anyway, that is the progress I have made. Next up will be to mount the inner ear pieces permanently, install the magnets & pegs, then on to the visor!
As always if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to ask!