Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Finished  (Read 5759 times)

wthrgssr75

Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Before Paint - Am I Ready to Paint?
« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Just a word of advice, NEVER use the sticky stuff on your soft parts. The adhesive will heat up just from you moving around in the armor, add in a hot summer day troop and that gunk is going to start spreading to areas it shouldn't be. Then you have the problem of pulling it out of storage and your vest being ruined. Happened to my first vest after I pulled it out after getting back from SDCC08. So I'd recommend sew on velcro when ever putting velcro on soft parts. For the plates them selves though sticky velcro is fine. Using snaps or bolts for attachment is never a bad idea either.

Here's a link for attaching armor with bolts.
Here's one for using snaps Link
Here's also a threed on the use of velcro/snaps and magnets to attach armor you might find helpful.

Have a good one,
Hagen

I found that one out the hard way. I fixed it by using sticky velcro on my aluminum and sewn on on my soft parts.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:40 AM »
Just a word of advice, NEVER use the sticky stuff on your soft parts. The adhesive will heat up just from you moving around in the armor, add in a hot summer day troop and that gunk is going to start spreading to areas it shouldn't be. Then you have the problem of pulling it out of storage and your vest being ruined. Happened to my first vest after I pulled it out after getting back from SDCC08. So I'd recommend sew on velcro when ever putting velcro on soft parts. For the plates them selves though sticky velcro is fine. Using snaps or bolts for attachment is never a bad idea either.

Here's a link for attaching armor with bolts.
Here's one for using snaps Link
Here's also a threed on the use of velcro/snaps and magnets to attach armor you might find helpful.

Have a good one,
Hagen

I may end up regretting my decision to give it a try and not follow your advice, but I do have some good reasons.

The stuff I am talking about I've used at work in industrial applications where it is holding up electrical components in hotter environments.  When those trucks are up and running in the middle of summer it takes some extreme AC units just to keep the thing functional.  It also has a version with an adhesive that specifically states it'll bond to vinyl.

Like I said though I may run into exactly what you say, but I want to give this stuff a shot.  I think I'll test it on some scrap material first to see how it holds, that is a much better idea to try before ruining my vest.

wthrgssr75

« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:48 AM »
I used nothing but industrial grade velcro on my vest. It works great on the aluminum, but the vinyl vest is a different story. If you do use it on your soft parts, your gonna have a hard time putting a needle and thread in it for added security. The glue gums up the needle and causes the thread to break. If you were to use something like fishing line it might hold up. Or put a screw and nut through the velcro and vinyl just to keep it from moving on you.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2012, 02:07 AM »
I used nothing but industrial grade velcro on my vest. It works great on the aluminum, but the vinyl vest is a different story. If you do use it on your soft parts, your gonna have a hard time putting a needle and thread in it for added security. The glue gums up the needle and causes the thread to break. If you were to use something like fishing line it might hold up. Or put a screw and nut through the velcro and vinyl just to keep it from moving on you.

Having to get stitches through it may be pretty stuff, definitely going with a test piece.

From the data sheets for the stuff I'm looking at it is supposed to handle a continuous temperature of 158 degrees.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Industrial/Adhesives/Product/Catalog/Detail/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GJJ60IS8FSO6Q3GD3000000_nid=17MCXS8ZJ8beJNLB2JSBSGgl

Now some of the merchants I've seen mention it bonding to vinyl, but this data sheet doesn't  If it ends up not working out I'll pick up a solvent that does work and turn it into sew on pieces for the vest side.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Good luck Captain!  I've read where a couple people overworked their sewing machine's motors from trying to sew thru the adhesive.  Just be careful if you try it. :)
Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Good luck Captain!  I've read where a couple people overworked their sewing machine's motors from trying to sew thru the adhesive.  Just be careful if you try it. :)

If I end up needing to sew it I'll get a solvent that'll work and remove the adhesive first to try to make it sew successfully.

« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:44 PM »
It can be done, I didnt know of this until i was finished (2 yrs ago). All of the velcro on my kit is industrial adhesive velcro and the leather is heavy being an ex-UK police bike jacket.

It does gum up the needles and snap a few but not impossible. Partly the reason i riveted my chest plates on to the vest because i couldnt get through the leather even with thick needles. Or tbh my Mum couldnt LOL.

Never say never in this game, if its all youve got ! Ye just need to make do or adapt it ;)

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:48 PM »
UPDATE!!  Just got my new helmet in, which appears to fit me much better than the old one did.  I think it should be perfect once I have the armor, suit, vest, and shoulder bells on.

What do you think?  I wanted to post these pictures before I start cutting out the visor area.  I plan on cutting the vent holes in the back for fan ventilation.  Also thinking about cutting out the inner ear cap strips and replacing with fabric, so I can hear better and stay cooler.  How do you think it'd look?

Next, I'm in debate whether to add Antenna(s) to the right ear cap, or leave it blank.  In one respect, it seems like it's missing something there... but at the same time, an antenna on this helm comes off a tad funny looking also.  See the pictures below and tell me what you think of each one:

Short rectangular antenna - pic 1

Short rectangular antenna - pic 2

Circular antenna

Long rectangular antenna - pic 1

Long rectangular antenna - pic 2

Long rectangular antenna - pic 3

Also considering a combination of each.  Note:  I have 2x each of the long and short rectangular antennas and 1x of the cylindrical one.

What do you guys think?  Antenna or no antenna?  Cut out earcap slots or no?  Do you agree that it should fit me?

Thanks all!

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:00 PM »
That helmet fits you beautifully. Now as far as the antenna, I would use the long rectangular one if any on the helmet. That is my personal opinion, but the helmet doesn't really need it. You could always try to do something similar to what Falin Skirata did on his Assassin helmet. He had a sliding range finder. You might try to message him for how he did it and see if he has pics to check out the idea.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Out of curiosity, how did you just get an Assassin?
I want one, but DSB went on leave just before I became a member of the community

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:25 PM »
That helmet fits you beautifully. Now as far as the antenna, I would use the long rectangular one if any on the helmet. That is my personal opinion, but the helmet doesn't really need it. You could always try to do something similar to what Falin Skirata did on his Assassin helmet. He had a sliding range finder. You might try to message him for how he did it and see if he has pics to check out the idea.

Wow, a sliding range finder sounds very cool.  I will have to ask him about this!  I agree with you that it doesn't really need one; I was just trying to think of ways to make it my own, without taking away from the look.  Thank you, Drak!

Ni'ka

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:34 PM »
nice helmet, the sizing looks good to me! now let's get your wife over here so we can see what size helmet she needs! ;)

« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:04 AM »
Looks good mate, I used plastic chopsticks for antenna LOL I put them on the CoMando bucket, they are slim enough so that your not cutting much from the helmet. Just another option for you ;)

« Reply #58 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:43 AM »
I agree, the helmet looks alot better in size. I kinda like the longer antenna if you use one at all, but I think that it doesn't need one. If it could slide up and down, that would be really cool. I imagine it would involve a slider inside the helmet behind the earcap. Perhaps the mechanism from an old slider cell phone?

I may have missed it mentioned before, but what colors are you planning? I'm trying to picture it all together to get the whole picture.

Can't wait to see your kit together & meet you either here in town or at the AP next month.

-Brandi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Thank you guys for taking the time to give me your feedback.  I'm very happy with this one!

I may have missed it mentioned before, but what colors are you planning? I'm trying to picture it all together to get the whole picture.

-Brandi

The colors I'm going with are Dark Brown base paint, orange trim, and red trim.  My overall kit will be a mix of these colors plus some black (vest, neckseal, holsters, belts).  Trying to limit the orange to smaller areas of the outfit, as excessive brightness can be a real turn-off.  Still deciding what parts to paint each color.  Been using the Mando maker to get a general idea, but I've been having to look closely at other Mando photos to get a better detailed idea.

My visors just came in from RJSafety, and I wrote up a short comparison of the two I purchased, in case anyone is undecided on which to buy.  You can find the comparison here:
http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=48341.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!