Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Finished  (Read 5146 times)

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Before Paint - Am I Ready to Paint?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:36 PM »
It looks good so far. Do what you said about the sanding and cleaning to make sure everything is as smooth as you can get it before painting, and try to get a good test fit posted here so we can make sure you're good to go as far as sizing. As for the velcro, if you use that method for armor attachment, when you go to place it on make sure you rub the plates in pretty well when you first place them and it should eliminate any noise from poor connections as it will allow almost every hook to catch then. I used velcro on my first 2 sets of armor with no noise whatsoever , and the good thing with velcro is it is very forgiving in regards to fixing placement ;).

The mavericks look good but I just can't shake the fact that they still look like mavericks to me. I think you might want to try to mod them a tad more to eliminate that resemblance in the revolver section. It might be cool if you can figure out a way to make it like a tri barrel cylinder block instead of the stock maverick cylinder block.

Those are my two cents. You're doing great though and if you keep this up you'll be official in no time.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Kebii'tra Verda

• Formerly "Jaiden Turr'n"
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • The Mandalorian Arsenal
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:14 AM »
[yodavoice]Mmm...to Drak you listen. Pre-approval costume judge he is. Woohehehe![/yodavoice]

Yeah, I didn't even think about that. NERF is a good base, but since it is so recognizable, and since in the beginning, a LOT of people were using NERF for their primary weapons, there is a new standard in place that does advise you to make them almost unrecognizable as NERF.

SITCH 1: "Like my weapon?" "It's a Nerf gun. Big deal."
SITCH 2: "Like my weapon?" "Cool! How did you make that?" "Well the base is a Nerf." "Wow, I would never have known!"

Pick your Sitch and pick wisely. :P :P :P

dAVid.

Click the pic for the TMA Website.
Facebook page
DW and NiO helmets now sold by TMA!

#0127 Jaiden Turr'n
#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I cant add much to what has been said ;) but i do have one thing.

personally if you are going to have some damage on your plates / bucket i like to add the damage to them before i paint them that way it give the damage a 3D effect and in my opinion looks a bit better  than just painted damage ;D

M.A.J.I.C. #018   M.A.B.E.L. #011  M.A. #006  24er  The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #005  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2012, 04:17 PM »
Do what you said about the sanding and cleaning to make sure everything is as smooth as you can get it before painting, and try to get a good test fit posted here so we can make sure you're good to go as far as sizing.

The mavericks look good but I just can't shake the fact that they still look like mavericks to me. I think you might want to try to mod them a tad more to eliminate that resemblance in the revolver section. It might be cool if you can figure out a way to make it like a tri barrel cylinder block instead of the stock maverick cylinder block.

I'll make sure it's smooth and throw on a single layer of some spare paint, to see how it looks before using the good stuff.  The gaunlets in particular are going to need this.

I'll give the Maverick barrels a third look, especially in the cylinder removal area.  There's not a whole lot I can do as far as detailing them without affecting the function or risking adding noise.  I'll try to look at them more critically... what sucks about them is that their bulky/blocky shape makes them stand out from every other blaster.

It's funny how different people see different blasters.  I don't have much experience modding toy guns, but I have experience modding real guns... so when I see a lot of airsoft gun bases, I go "that's a Beretta CX-4, big deal".. but other posters say "Wow, that's Star Warsy", lol.  Neither method is right or wrong, imho, but it is interesting to see people's responses.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to implement as much of it as I can.

I'll go ahead and post some pics of my armor laid out on me, so a general idea of fitting can be had.  It would work much better if my vest was ready. :(
Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:49 PM »
I don't have my vest in, and I have my flight suit... but the collar restricts the collar armor, so it was easier to tape it to a shirt.  As you all know, a regular shirt droops with armor (and so does tape)... lol.  I think this gives a good enough idea of sizing and spacing though.  obviously there is too much space up and down due to drooping and quickly putting it together, but you can see that it will all line up.

I forgot the chest diamond after taking all the photos and the armor started peeling... so I had to take a pic with the chest diamond and holding the plates on as they were falling LOL.  I also threw on the helm for kicks.

I think I'll hold off on painting the upper body armor till after I attach it to the vest... I don't want to risk having to take the heat gun to it after painting.

I threw on the helmet and showed back pictures for the heck of it too.  If anyone has any ideas on how to get the bend out of the backpiece's neck, let me know.  I had to bend it like this for it to fit right.  Unfortunately that's the vertex of the bending.

Holding the plates on to show the chest diamond lol.  Plates were drooping at this point.

Side of armor as it's falling off me lol

Armor without helmet and diamond

Zoomed in

Back piece and kidney from the side

Back piece and kidney from the back
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2012, 01:25 AM by Kilryth »

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:19 PM »
You want to be able to see out of it, and the way it looks in the test shots your eyes are right where they should be, so as little foam as possible on the top.

Also I would definitely spend a good amount of time on that flat spot on the dome.  That is the only spot where the shape looks off, take care of it and I think the bucket is solid.  I would check with Falin about the fit of the bucket though because it looks like you're running into the same problem I am.  Mine is too wide for my small frame.  One of the potential solutions that was brought up is to build the shoulder pads up with risers to make your shoulders look wider than they really are.

Again, check with someone from the app team before getting to paint.  I don't think the armor looks bad at all, just a question of the sizing.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2012, 06:03 AM »
Once you have the spacing right i reckon that the plates will be spot on ;D

M.A.J.I.C. #018   M.A.B.E.L. #011  M.A. #006  24er  The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #005  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Sizing is fine, just the spacing that want's sorting, but that'll come when you sort a vest.

Kyp Vok'Chi

• Formerly 'Kel T Skirata'
  • Mental Scottish Mando!
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:59 PM »
The bucket looks fine, minimal padding in the top though. For the size, dont worry till you get all the armour put together.

The helmet looks oversized only cos yeve no got,

(a) Flightsuit on
(b) Flackvest on
(c) Shoulder bell's on

Once all of these are ON it will bulk you up big time, especially if you get the shoulder bells right.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:34 PM »
The bucket looks fine, minimal padding in the top though. For the size, dont worry till you get all the armour put together.

The helmet looks oversized only cos yeve no got,

(a) Flightsuit on
(b) Flackvest on
(c) Shoulder bell's on

Once all of these are ON it will bulk you up big time, especially if you get the shoulder bells right.

I see what you're saying about sizing, but this is what I'm talking about.  My picture that I just took shows me in just a flightsuit and bucket.  I was told it was way too big on me, and by the shoulder measurements of it being a 2/1 ratio it is a couple inches too wide.

Now right next to his picture.

The sizing for us looks remarkably similar, so if mine is too big I suspect his will be too.

Kyp Vok'Chi

• Formerly 'Kel T Skirata'
  • Mental Scottish Mando!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Like i said, everything need's to come together first plus Kilryth's pic come from a better angle. Here is my sizes in my old colours,

Im 5ft 9" and 23" across the shoulders.

The bells give ye width too.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 01:51 PM by Kel T Skirata »

« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Personally, I think it looks too big, but I'm not on the approval team. You said you were going to try to come to the AP in Perry next month right? Wait to paint the bucket and bring it with you to let a couple of us see it in person. Also, while you are there, you can try on my 2-piece krayt to see how it fits compared to the 1:1. You are making great progress, and I would hate for you to not get approved due to helmet sizing issues.

It might not be too big, but sometimes its really hard to tell in pictures.

-Brandi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:25 PM »
Thanks for your input guys!!  I'll hold some shoulder bells up in the mirror with the helmet on, just to see how it looks.

As for the helmet padding... my old HJC CXL-4motocross helmet padding fits perfect.  Thinking about just using that, since it's got some good sweat-wicking material in it too.

Edit:  I looked in the mirror, and honestly it's hard to tell without the whole kit put together.  I think it'll look fine.  There appears to be a lot of variance in helmet-to-shoulder ratio on Jango & Boba's kits in the following photos:

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-boba-fett-jango-fett-helmet-costumes-armor.htm

Looks like Jango's helmet is skinnier vs his shoulders (b/c he is broader than Boba).  It also looks like the ESB Boba has a wider helmet than the ROTJ Boba.  It could be perspective, but they do look different in width.

Looks like the light is reflecting off the bare-spot on the helmet, making it look flatter than it is.  I threw a quick layer of paint on it to see how "flat" that side is.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 07:57 PM by Kilryth »

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:31 AM »
Thanks for your input guys!!  I'll hold some shoulder bells up in the mirror with the helmet on, just to see how it looks.

As for the helmet padding... my old HJC CXL-4motocross helmet padding fits perfect.  Thinking about just using that, since it's got some good sweat-wicking material in it too.

Edit:  I looked in the mirror, and honestly it's hard to tell without the whole kit put together.  I think it'll look fine.  There appears to be a lot of variance in helmet-to-shoulder ratio on Jango & Boba's kits in the following photos:

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-boba-fett-jango-fett-helmet-costumes-armor.htm

Looks like Jango's helmet is skinnier vs his shoulders (b/c he is broader than Boba).  It also looks like the ESB Boba has a wider helmet than the ROTJ Boba.  It could be perspective, but they do look different in width.

Looks like the light is reflecting off the bare-spot on the helmet, making it look flatter than it is.  I threw a quick layer of paint on it to see how "flat" that side is.

Honestly I think it looks really good, but I just wanted to give you a heads up on the same issue that I'm now facing with sizing, coming straight from a member of the approval team.  Do you know the measurements for shoulders and bucket width?

I'm sure the light made the flat spot look worse, but a little attention there and I think it looks amazing.  That is the only flaw I can pick out. 

Hmm, motocross padding.  I've been debating what type of padding to look into when I'm ready to build it into mine.  Something sports oriented so that it wicks moisture like you mention sounds like a great idea.  I also want to build in an internal chin strap into mine so it stays on no matter what.  You never know when I'm going to decide to do a back flip.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:50 AM »
Thanks a bunch!  I took the helmet photos down so I can revise my helmet. :)  I'll make some modifications.

You can buy motocross "Crown Pads" for about $15... finding them is sometimes the problem lol.  Just go try on some motocross helmets, find your size in a particular brand, then order the replacement Crown pad.  It comes all sewn together from forehead, the scalp, and down to the nape of your neck practically.  Installed with mesh & some kind of fleece-like cotton.  The HJC brand crown pads are real thin too (like 1/4")

All I know is that it's very comfortable and I never notice the sweat when dirtbiking lol.  They also have chin straps... thought about taking that out of my helmet too.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!