Forum > Armor Planning

Jesse's WIP

<< < (3/38) > >>

CaptainMorgan:

--- Quote from: Jesse Libarra on Feb 06, 2012, 11:51 PM ---ok. Helmet question. Is it cheaper to buy or scratch-build a helmet? I would love to scratch-build my own some day, but right now it's kind of (very) intimidating.

--- End quote ---

Scratch building is a ton of work, but the other side to it is you aren't paying someone else for all that time and you can get exactly what you want.

I easily have put in 20 hours on mine so far.  I also am super excited to have my own bucket like this.  I'll be scratch building again in the future when I'm ready for an upgrade for sure.

The big thing with me on the scratch building is that I think it's worth it to use the right tools.  You'll get so frustrated fighting with the wrong stuff that it'll become a monster of a project.  I certainly go overboard on this (I like having cool tools) and there is a middle ground, but I would still consider the total cost to include acquiring everything you need.  If you have parents or friends that can loan you things then you will be all set.  You also need a place to fiberglass that is not inside your house because the fumes and sanding is a big problem indoors.  You also have to have a respirator, no paper masks.  The chemicals in that stuff are nasty to breath in and really unsafe.

If you do it right though and can manage to get what you need without spending too much money then I say go for it.  I am having a blast doing it to the point where I'm already confident enough to tackle some more extreme costuming after my Mando.

Byloc Phosmont:
I am one of those people who is incredibly intimidated by scratch building a helmet. If you've got the patience, tools and know how's to build your own (like Captain Morgan above) then you can create something really awesome. If you don't, the helmet will look a little funky... maybe lean to the side, be uneven, etc.

For my first build which I started a few months ago, I went with the rubies 2 piece. I've made two with it so far, one for myself and one for my brother. I really enjoyed working with it since most of the helmet is built for you and all that's left is some modification to make it less crappy. Just like with any helmet choice, there are tons of threads about how to make it, etc. I found one on the dented helmet that I followed to the letter and came out with something I am very happy with. The helmet cost $35 shipped, and I put about $40 into supplies to make it. Keep in mind the supplies I bought (such as spray paint, a hot glue gun, box cutter, for sale sign, etc.) I also used for building the rest of my mando. My only complain about the 2 piece is that it can break easily. Dropping it off a table would likely split it right down the seam on the dome. Hope that helps!

Hondo Karr:

--- Quote from: Jesse Libarra on Feb 06, 2012, 11:51 PM ---ok. Helmet question. Is it cheaper to buy or scratch-build a helmet? I would love to scratch-build my own some day, but right now it's kind of (very) intimidating.

--- End quote ---

That's variable... if you have the tools on hand... a dremel, a powered palm sander etc., the materials are very cheap... a can of Bondo (10.00), a can of fiberglass resin ($10.00), a tube of glazing putty (4.00) and a roll of joining tape (5.00) should be enough materials to make 2 helmets. Then a posterboard, which probably only makes 1, costs a buck. You can try to build your own dome or start with something like a hard hat or a bike helmet for your dome base. If you have to go out and buy tools (you could always hand sand but that is so time and sand paper consuming I personally don't find it worth it) you can easily get close to the 200.00 range between supplies and tools. But, you will likely need those tools anyway so, youre going to have to invest in them regardless at some point.

Scrathbuilding is awesome. If youve never worked with this stuff, it can be very hard and may take 2, 3,4 attempts before you nail it. But, there is a point of pride to wearing a well made scratchbuilt helmet you can never get with one you buy from me or Saz or ASOK etc.

Jesse Libarra:
hmmm. Looks like I'll be going with scratch build, then. :) My uncle has a lot of experience with bondo, so I may enlist his help.

CaptainMorgan:

--- Quote from: Jesse Libarra on Feb 07, 2012, 07:33 PM ---hmmm. Looks like I'll be going with scratch build, then. :) My uncle has a lot of experience with bondo, so I may enlist his help.

--- End quote ---

If you have someone like that with experience then you should definitely go for it.  Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version