Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Helmet Sizing V 2.0  (Read 10359 times)

Jerek Darr

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Awards
Re: Helmet Sizing V 2.0
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Remember, your armor will add to your body size by at least 1/2. If the bucket looks ok with you in a t-shirt, it will most likely be too small in armor. If you don't have a vest and plates ready, put on a really heavy coat and double check the scale.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Hondo Karr

• Formerly 'Falin Skirata'
  • Head Shot Props formerly Skirata Arms
  • Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:10 PM »
If you were armored as you look in that photo, it would be on the small side. Approvable, probably but, we'd have to see the sides, back etc. As Jarek said, the armor will add size to you!

Kyp Vok'Chi

• Mental Scottish Mando!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Well I snapped a pic with the helmet on. Couldnt see crap because I painted over the junk stock visor so this is the best shot I got :P

Are you sure this is too small? Looks like a pretty decent size

Its a funny angle tbh, you really need to get the armour on and some straight facing pics. Taken by someone else :) It might possibly look smaller face on.

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:38 PM »
So with my 25" shoulders, I should be looking to "bulk" up my helmet to about what measurement, roughly?   
Should have told yah I'm a big corn-fed Iowegian Boy.

Saz

• I see moose people...
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2011, 04:31 AM »
I'd say that bulking ears should be an end of kit building measure as bodytype also plays a huge factor, if you are of muscular build or overweight then it will be likely that your helmet might need bulking and you definitely need to look at 1:1 regardless.

I would suggest that if you are 21 inches or over shoulder to shoulder then you should be looking at the 1:1 as the best fit, however, as Kel has demonstrated, the 2 pc doesn't look too bad in the 22 -23 inch range.

Once you have your helmet sorted, then worry about bulking, but the basic rule is the helmet width should be around half your shoulder to shoulder width. If you follow the basic rule then you can bulk further if it looks like you need it in your WIP, we're not trying to answer all the questions, just give you a little bit more information on which helmet type you should go for, so you can make an informed decision.
]
Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

I am NOT a Moose!

OriKad

• Cat#: 0233
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2011, 06:09 AM »
Kel fits the same scale as me.  Right between perfect sizing for the 2 piece and the 1:1.  I know my 2 piece looks a little bit small on me, and my 1:1 looks a little bit big on me.

I'm 6'1, 180lbs, built slender (or lanky), with 17" shoulder width... Long and narrow kind of shape (my wife says that "long" is the best one-word description).  The 2 piece is the best (though not perfect) proportional sized bucket that I've gotten to try on.  Ideally I need something as tall as a 1:1, but with the width of a 1 piece, and the length front to back of a 2 piece...  The 2 piece is the best compromise.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Sounds like a Don Post 95-96 would be perfect for you.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Sounds like a Don Post 95-96 would be perfect for you.

Too bad no one makes a readily available, afforadble casting in that size,,,,,,, ;)

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Hondo Karr

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Yeah... Im not interested. There's a need/want for them but, not enough (to me) to justify a mold. I am selling one right now though lol.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Ideally, everyone would have a custom made helmet, perfect for their body size and shape ;) Says me with a DSB Merc :D

The ratio information is brilliant, Falin. While it's visually OK to go a little over or under, it helps give people a good ballpark figure.

Something to consider is adding how exactly to measure the width of your shoulders - from which point to which point? EG dressmaking shoulder measurements are on the top, the overall width of the shoulder is much wider than that would convey.

« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Thanks alls my questions were answered, just needed a ballpark to play in   ;D

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Just to show the difference in the 2pc and 1:1, here is a couple of pics. As Falin said, i'm 6ft2", but my frame can just pull off a 2pc.

This is the 2pc. Not a straight on pic, sorry about that, But you get a good grasp of how it fits on me.

This is the 1:1, You can tell the difference, a much better fit and more in proportion.

« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Since I will likely be scratchbuilding my helmet, I'll post up the sizing I end up using as well. I am 5' 5", 180 lb and an 18" shoulder width. So sizing will be fun with the general templates.

Hondo Karr

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:32 PM »
You may have to find them in pep files but, you'll probably be needing the 1:1 scale JANGO helmet size. I don't believe there is WOF templates but, Im sure there are pep's somewhere. That said, you could always get a 2 piece Jango Rubies helmet and bring it up to specs. End of the day, it's not much more in cost than scratchbuilding and will save alot of time.

Mirdala

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:19 AM »
This is a sizing check for Crystal from Ge'tal Vheh Squad. Mine is an ASOK Jango 1:1.

XD

Sorry about the fuzziness, the picture looked better on the phone. *sigh*.

I hope you can still kind of gauge the size though.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!