Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Kyr'a Laar WIP  (Read 3689 times)

Ordeyn

• "Wo-man-delorian"
    • Awards
Re: Kyr'a Laar WIP
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2011, 11:01 PM »
High grit sand paper ought to smooth the edges once you get the excess material off. And there wont be any molten blobs of plastic! ;)
- Taakure Clan -

bodatheyoda

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:02 PM »
High grit sand paper ought to smooth the edges once you get the excess material off. And there wont be any molten blobs of plastic! ;)

^this. That's what I did for my stormtrooper

Kyr'a Laar

• "A blaster is for work, a blade is for vengeance."
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Geeze this is taking too long!!
Sorry I've been absent again. I'm taking my sweet time with this because I want to get it right. Tomorrow I plan to work on my plates some more, but I had some time today and went to the hardware store and to an Army surplus store to check some things out.
I found a vest that I like at the army store, but it's rather pricey considering that I will have to modify it. It's got a zipper closure on it, and I'm sure that I would have to cover that with fabric, other than that it might suit my purposes. Undecided. I plan on checking Goodwill and a few other places before I make my decision.
I've done a great deal of poking around on the women's boards and I've noticed that there are some interesting variations on soft parts...so I'm still kind of scratching my head and thinking about it. I'm rather on the short side, so I don't really feel like a flight suit would work well without HEAVY modification, and I fear it would look bulky or baggy, in turn making my plates sit wrong. So, I'm trying to come up with a few different creative ideas and as soon as I make up my mind, I'll post them.
Next thing is, I found an interesting tutorial for knees on youtube, which involves 3" PVC and a heat gun. This would be relatively inexpensive, so I think I may go this route.
My other concern besides soft parts is gauntlets. I have EXTREMELY small wrists...and I realize I may have to post this question or poke around a different board to get a better idea of what to do. But yeah, not sure on that right now. There are also a few other things that I am concerned about, but since this post is getting long I will address those concerns at a later date.
So the plan right now is to work on plates tomorrow. As I get more done, I will share pictures when I have them.

Thanks for the feedback so far! It's very encouraging to a noob get comments of any sort!

:)

Kyr'a Laar

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:19 PM »

I think that will work better actually. The dremel is just going to create more burrs instead of smoothing the edges. It may take longer with the sand paper, but I think the end result will be better. Hopefully I can get to cutting again soon.  :-\

wthrgssr75

« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Dickies coveralls are $25 & you can get them at walmart. Flightsuits would be a pain to hem. I made mine from materials and patterns from Hancock fabric (hobby lobby & Michaels has them too). I'm building a jango kit (the WIP is under I'm back baby, jango wip). My suit and vest incl. patterns cost $44 and I'm using charcoal vinyl. My armor is all aluminum and I've got $46 in that (and my bucket is 1/2 way done also made of metal). With those patterns, or with dickies they are easy to custom fit.

Ordeyn

• "Wo-man-delorian"
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Depending on what you have available to you could probably modify this tutorial...
http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=46817.0
...to meet your gauntlet need. It uses PVC pipe, like you want to use for your knees so it'd be a two in one sort of thing! ;) (Could you post/pm me about the knees tutorial you are talking about? I need some new knees myself.)
- Taakure Clan -

Kyr'a Laar

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I'll send you that link right away! It's actually a similar idea except it's expanding the PVC instead of rolling it in. You'll see in the video, but this guy is doing Boba knees specifically. However, it's something that could be modified for any design...although personally I may stick with the Boba knee template for my first build.

Thanks for linking me to that, that looks like it may solve my problem! I really really supah appreciate it!  :D

Ordeyn

• "Wo-man-delorian"
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:03 PM »
No problem, Kyra! I'm glad I could help. And thanks for sending the link!
- Taakure Clan -

Kyr'a Laar

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Alright folks, I know I have not posted much at all. I've made a little more progress on my build, but unfortunately due to life getting in the way, I'm going to have to put my kit on hold indefinitely.  :'(
Don't worry, I'm not quitting (of course I've already been told I'm not allowed to) but some unforeseen events have put me in a position where I'm going to have to put this on the back burner for now. :(
As soon as I am able to begin again, I will post the progress. But as it stands now, it will be a while before I can work on anything.

<3

Ordeyn

• "Wo-man-delorian"
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Many a Mando has had to put their kit on the back burner. Real life comes first, vod'ika. :)
- Taakure Clan -

Sarsk

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:21 PM »
As long as you dont dissapear.  :D Whenever we have an armor party, you should come visit and meet everyone.

Kyr'a Laar

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Many a Mando has had to put their kit on the back burner. Real life comes first, vod'ika. :)

More like real life is getting in the way at this point. But hopefully this situation will pass ASAP.

Kyr'a Laar

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2012, 12:43 PM »
As long as you dont dissapear.  :D Whenever we have an armor party, you should come visit and meet everyone.

No sir, I don't plan on pulling a vanishing act. I'm committed to this.  :D
I'd love to be able to come to an armor party, at least just to meet and greet etc. I'm sure y'all have plenty of advice to hand out as well. I'll keep my eye on the boards etc, so just let me know when...that or tell Kav'an to tell me lol, he keeps me posted on things through Facebook.  :)

Sarsk

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Will do. We can probably hook you up with some gear to help get that kit finished.

Armor parties soon!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!