Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Protective Clear Coat for Armor  (Read 1019 times)

Taglar Dreskk

• Jon Nichols
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
    • Awards
Re: Protective Clear Coat for Armor
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2013, 10:10 AM »
I don't get that much damage on my armor that I have to repaint it much at all.  I just keep each scratch and scuff as a "trophy" from trooping.

MERC #0008 | MAJIC #0012 | VRCA #0018 | BEARDS #0003
Mercs Codex Review Comittee 2013-Present
Rancor Clan Ruus'alor 2013-Present
Mercs Forum Administrator / Communications Officer 2007-2012
Founding Member of Rancor Clan
36 career invasions

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Bringing Vengeance to the Galaxy
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Kaden's Facebook Page
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Not worrying about scratches is an advantage with metal armor.  I'll give you all that.  However, us with sintra armor, scratches look horrible.

Manda'galaar Clan Los Angeles, CA (USA)       M.A.J.I.C. Member #0051

Kelan Ord

• The Candy Jetpack Man
  • Oyacyir ti ijaat. Oya'karir 'kay kyriam.
  • Awards Just Walked Off Set is the award for the most realistic, in universe custom Mand Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Like A Boss - Official Member with best pose in-kit
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2013, 08:42 AM »
I don't get that much damage on my armor that I have to repaint it much at all.  I just keep each scratch and scuff as a "trophy" from trooping.

^^This.

If the paint is applied well. You shouldn't get hat many scratches.

Remo Jadd. Never forgotten.

Taglar Dreskk

• Jon Nichols
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Not worrying about scratches is an advantage with metal armor.  I'll give you all that.  However, us with sintra armor, scratches look horrible.

I'm actually wearing sintra armor.  I give all my plates a few coats of silver base coat, and most of the sintra I use is black, so when a scratch occurs mostly it just goes down to silver, but sometimes the black shows through but doesn't look too out of place.

The worst damage I get is where my shin armor meets my boot armor and rubs.  You can see some black rubbed through, but it doesn't look bad because it makes it look scuffed and worn.  The other black markings higher up the shin are actually boot scuffs from myself and other folks when getting too close.

36 career invasions

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Kaden's Facebook Page
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Well then.  Maybe I will start buying black sintra.  I don't think it's the paint job.  I start with primer, and add several thin coats of the colors I am using.  Each of them is the same brand, Krylon for plastics.  I then use a Krylon matte clear coat, which I have sprayed on in thin coats.  Usually I spray 4 or 5 coats.

I must just be unusually hard on my armor.  Maybe it's getting chipped and scuffed from being packed and transported to events.  I just don't know at this point.

All these ideas are great!  Keep them coming.

BobaFiend

• The year is After Colony 195: Operation Meteor
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Each of them is the same brand, Krylon for plastics.  I then use a Krylon matte clear coat, which I have sprayed on in thin coats.  Usually I spray 4 or 5 coats.

You need to be using enamel paints if you want them to be durable.  They are slower curing but cure hard. Krylon paints are not enamels for the most part and will not stand up to much punishment.  I use Rusto satin enamels when I can and they can take a beating. That plus a laquer clear coat is plenty of protection. The only spot I have issues is on my chestplate where my shoulder meets the stock of my rifle.  There are hard-edged resin greeblies on the stock that scrape away the sintra, which obviously takes the paint with it.  Barring that I have very few problems. 

Ref Al'drann

• Rohlan Dyre
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2013, 09:52 PM »
If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy grey sintra. I have black right now. I haven't repainted in a year at least and I've got some dings and scratches on my chestplates. They don't look too great, but like Taglar said, they don't look out of place either.

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Kaden's Facebook Page
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2013, 11:52 PM »
Thanks, BobaFriend.  I will look into those and give them a shot.

Taglar Dreskk

• Jon Nichols
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Do you have some closeup pics of the chipping?  Maybe your paint isn't bonding well.

I use Rustoleum paints and have never had an issue with chipping paint.

36 career invasions

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!