Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Fem-mando Early Crusader (APPROVED)  (Read 88381 times)

lightning667

Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:40 PM »
if u need help dont be afrait to ask. and what about making the ridges out of somthing else and then epoxy=ing them onto the sintra?

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Costuming Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:41 PM »
So far I've just tried the Loctite brand 5 minute stuff, but I've also got some plumber's epoxy sitting around to try in case the 5 minute epoxy doesn't hold up as well. Slade's helmet also has the little horns on it, and he used epoxy putty. But I'm not sure which kind he used.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar MendrosŤ

« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:12 AM »
I really want to see an Early Crusader build and those wraps translated from EU-canon to a real costume in a proper way. I'm convinced it's possible to get the look right, so go for it!
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:19 AM »
I want this kit completed too! Lol Itíll probably take me awhile, I want to take my time and use all top grade materials, like real leather and such.  My goal is to have it troopable and official by Dragon*Con 2011, if sooner than great.

Kora-thanks for that on the epoxy putty, I had seen the plumbers kind and wasnít sure if I should get that or order something else. I may have to PM Slade and ask him what he used, is he the one with the helmet that survived the birthday party? I canít remember? lol

Sahz-the whole plate thing Iím sure will be a trial and error in the beginning till I find the right look I want.  I want it to be durable, and all your ideas will help a lot, so thanks.  And Iím sure thereíll be plenty more questions. lol

« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Don't forget to take pics of your progress, this has potential to become a tutorial for the era.
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Tomoe-Thanks, I will. I took lots of pics when I did my kids kits, for my own use since I didnít post my progress anywhere, so Iíll be sure to do it for this build as well.

Kora

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Costuming Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2010, 03:38 PM »
I know he said it survived a fall, not sure if that was a birthday party event or not. lol

I'm really interested to see how yours comes out. :D I like this era for the insane amount of customization in it. . ..and I admit I'm curious to see how you tackle that axe because I haven't gotten started on mine yet. <_< >_> *chuckle*
- Mal, "Firefly"

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Kora-Well Iíll be doing the weapons after the helmet, so hopefully you wont have to wait too long. ;) Too bad you donít still live in this area, I would love to get some pictures of us once both our kits are done.  I had been hoping to see how you did your helmet before I started, (hint, hint) lol :D

Taglar Dreskk

• Jon Nichols
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I love the concept!  I think so far we've never had anyone start (or at least complete) one of these kits.  So you'll definitely be breaking ground here.

The concept looks amazing.  What are you planning on using to make the armor seem "bony" and "bumpy"?  The helmet from pics seems to be flatter...but I'm with some of the others here in that it wouldn't look bad with a bit of indentation where the normal cheeks are. But it's up to you and your interperetation.

MERC #0008 | MAJIC #0012 | VRCA #0018 | BEARDS #0003
Mercs Codex Review Comittee 2013-Present
Rancor Clan Ruus'alor 2013-Present
Mercs Forum Administrator / Communications Officer 2007-2012
Founding Member of Rancor Clan
37 career invasions

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Taglar-Thatís what I was discussing earlier with Sahz and Kora, not really sure yet. Iíve seen Squirrel and Tracyíuurís Cardboard/resin/fiberglass plates and they seemed like a good way to go, or sintra has been suggested.  Most likely the ridges will be sculpted. So far Iím learning the epoxy putty will be a lot tougher than bondo. And I want it durable. Iíve never used the putty before so that will be new, but I had intended to use it for the horn bits. Thanks for the kind words, glad you like it. Thatís why I wanna take my time and do it right, cause Iíll be one of the first through with this and Iím sure itíll be combed over with a fine tooth comb! lol

Oh by the way I think it's funny, we have the same last name, well my married name anyway.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2010, 04:35 PM by seugtai »

Arketh

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:49 PM »
The epoxy putty is the way to go. Beyond being tougher, it's also far easier to shape than bondo, more like a firm clay than bondo's thick pudding texture.
"You know, that's not a good idea. Let me get my camera."
Late Era Costume in progress:
My Armor Thread
My Helmet Thread

Kora

• Costuming Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Kora-Well Iíll be doing the weapons after the helmet, so hopefully you wont have to wait too long. ;) Too bad you donít still live in this area, I would love to get some pictures of us once both our kits are done.  I had been hoping to see how you did your helmet before I started, (hint, hint) lol :D

<_< >_> I actually was going to be working on it the past couple of weeks, but some unexpected circumstances have prevented me from doing so. I'm hopeful people won't have to wait some insane amount of time for it though as I'm really, really wanting to at least get the base done and start on my myriad assortment of horns. *heh* But there will definitely be many pictures once I do start again; I certainly don't skimp in that regard. lol
- Mal, "Firefly"

Taglar Dreskk

• Jon Nichols
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:54 PM »
I concur on the epoxy putty.  Never used it myself, but I've heard it's much stronger than Bondo...and Bondo can actually be quite brittle at times.  Especially if your'e using it to "build up" something.

MERC #0008 | MAJIC #0012 | VRCA #0018 | BEARDS #0003
Mercs Codex Review Comittee 2013-Present
Rancor Clan Ruus'alor 2013-Present
Mercs Forum Administrator / Communications Officer 2007-2012
Founding Member of Rancor Clan
37 career invasions

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:14 PM »
HmmÖI used bondo on the outside when I did my kids helmets, and fiberglassed the inside. Should I just fiberglass the outside? I know itís more of a pain to sand down, but would it be stronger than bondo?

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Iíve seen Squirrel and Tracyíuurís Cardboard/resin/fiberglass plates

Just wanted to say that Squirrel and Tracy'uur are the same guy. The other guy is me. I'm the one who does all the molding of the cardboard etc for bondo and fiberglass. Squirrel helps me resin and bondo.

Adding to what you said about fiberglassing the outside etc. When we build our stuff we usually put 2 layers of fiber on the outside then only use bondo to help smooth it out. From there we resin and fiber the inside or we use bondo hair strengthen the inside. Ends up being pretty freaking strong.

But if you choose to go with the way we do things down here in the Tampa Area just shoot me Squirrel or Jas'ika a PM and we'll be able to help you out with any questions.

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2010, 08:45 PM by Drak Fiurr Verda »

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!