Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: How to make GOOD Cardboard Armor (Updates on all pages!)  (Read 19714 times)

Squirrel

• Patience, people!!!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • My Deviant Art Page
    • Awards
Greetings! As you all may know, cardboard armor gets a very bad rep, so we here at Squirrel Works seek to dispel the myth that this armor is useless by showing you how to make very durable cardboard and resin armor.

First step, Cut out your templates in One Layer Corrugated Cardboard. Preferably the thinner stuff, but still sturdy.

Second, begin shaping the armor using a light misting of water across the entire area you want to shape. DO NOT SOAK THE CRAP OUT OF IT!
Wetting down:

Shaping:

Finished:

When shaping has finished, place the piece aside to dry. Make sure it doesn't try to straighten out while drying!

Some chest plates after shaping:
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2011, 01:53 AM by Squirrel »
"And what have we learned?"

"How much detail is too much? When my hands cramp from the effort of adding it all."
My Desert Assault Kit WIP
M.A.J.I.C. #103
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #042

Re: How to make GOOD Cardboard Armor
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2010, 02:08 PM »
Looking good so far, I assume there's more to come though?
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Squirrel

• Patience, people!!!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • My Deviant Art Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Next step:
Begin adding Fiberglass Tape (Drywall Joint tape) Across the surface on one side. One side at a time is important!

Apply a LIGHT layer of Hot glue over areas where the tape will try to peel up. (Note: Upholstery adhesive spray should work here, but spray that beforehand, and sparingly.)

Once this is done, apply a LIGHT layer of fiberglass across the entire surface of the side of cardboard.

Sand the first layer down a little, as in get rid of large bumps and areas the tape may have come up, and re-coat.

Then you may start on the other side of the object/armor/item, like so:
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2011, 01:57 AM by Squirrel »

"How much detail is too much? When my hands cramp from the effort of adding it all."
M.A.J.I.C. #103

Squirrel

• Patience, people!!!
    • My Deviant Art Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2010, 02:19 PM »
On to finishing:

Cover the surface with a light coat of Bondo-glass where needed, and sand it smooth.

I recommend a final coat of resin to smooth everything out, and a light sanding to clean up any surface imperfections, prime and paint!

M.A.J.I.C. #103

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Very interesting... could open up some projects I was thinking about.  Thanks for the tips  ;D

Those who wander aren't always lost.

BedlamX

• Reconciler
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • BedlamX FB
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2010, 03:29 PM »
THIS is the kinda thing that makes me fume when I hear people saying cardboard armor is never any good. Great job on it, by the way. My old buddies and I have made tons of armor and other stuff like this back in the day.

A quick way to do armor? Nope
Cheap? Yep
Good? Yep

Ya gets 2 out of 3...which is all anyone can ask for. Love seing things like this. Restores my faith in the ingenuity and persevearance of costumers.
"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Hondo Karr

• Formerly 'Falin Skirata'
  • Head Shot Props formerly Skirata Arms
  • Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Great tutorial. However, for the sake of the club, we would consider this to be fiberglass armor... not carboard armor. As soon as you add the resi you create a new creature.

Whe we refer to cardboard armor, which is BANNED, for club use and the cardboard armor that gets a bad rap... we are refering to sheets of cardboard with paint on it. That's it. You reenforce it, add "glass" etc., youve created fiberglass or resin armor a perfectlyacceptable type of armor for the club.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Yup... The drywall joint tape is a new tool I had never though of, THANKS!
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2010, 04:03 PM »
do you always wear your bucket why applying resin  ;)

OriKad

• Cat#: 0233
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I LOVE the drywall tape idea.  I'm going to use it for my wife's V2.

BTW, in response to A'den's post:  It's good to have this tutorial, because the official no cardboard policy, while understandable, can be easily confused with "No cardboard in your armor whatsoever even if you resin it" for someone just starting to look around, and that can be discouraging.  Some people would still call this cardboard armor, because to some people fiberglass is JUST resin and fiberglass mat.

So keep this up.  I might end up with MORE ideas.  Thanks :)

Ohl'd Vart

• Head Hooch of the Gabrin Kinoda Hootchie Brigade
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
    • Ohl'd Vart's New Facebook page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Excellent work, bro. Can't wait to see it when it's done, in the flesh!  ;)
Rob
Ohl'd Vart's Rat Rod Pod Racer Club
Founding member of the BVC 2007/Alor'Ad 2007-2013
BVC Tutorial thread: http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=52355.0
Caput gerat lupinum  ("Let His be a Wolf's Head")

Squirrel

• Patience, people!!!
    • My Deviant Art Page
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2010, 05:16 PM »
do you always wear your bucket why applying resin  ;)

We like to be mysterious. It's kind of an inside joke. ;)

Great tutorial. However, for the sake of the club, we would consider this to be fiberglass armor... not carboard armor. As soon as you add the resi you create a new creature.

Whe we refer to cardboard armor, which is BANNED, for club use and the cardboard armor that gets a bad rap... we are refering to sheets of cardboard with paint on it. That's it. You reenforce it, add "glass" etc., youve created fiberglass or resin armor a perfectly acceptable type of armor for the club.

Understandable. But I just called it "Cardboard Armor" for the Noobs. That way there was less confusion.

THIS is the kinda thing that makes me fume when I hear people saying cardboard armor is never any good. Great job on it, by the way. My old buddies and I have made tons of armor and other stuff like this back in the day.

A quick way to do armor? Nope
Cheap? Yep
Good? Yep

Ya gets 2 out of 3...which is all anyone can ask for. Love seing things like this. Restores my faith in the ingenuity and persevearance of costumers.

Indeed. Especially when I get a Gallon of resin for dirt-cheap at work. (nearly half-price!)

M.A.J.I.C. #103

« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Lucky darn varmint!

Squirrel

• Patience, people!!!
    • My Deviant Art Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2010, 01:54 AM »

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Kebii'tra Verda

• Formerly "Jaiden Turr'n"
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • The Mandalorian Arsenal
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2010, 06:58 AM »
I get a Gallon of resin for dirt-cheap at work. (nearly half-price!)

You suck.

But the project is coming along nicely. ;)

David.

Click the pic for the TMA Website.
Facebook page
DW and NiO helmets now sold by TMA!

#0127 Jaiden Turr'n
#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!