Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: HELMET SIZING AND BUYING TUTORIAL. Please read before asking all the answered Qs  (Read 55998 times)

Jorg Mereel

• There are far worse things awaiting man than death
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
That is probably the smallest helmet your going to be able to get by with at your height.

Anyway, in the end it seems that I lucked out and came across this piece. It's supposed to be based on the Mystery version, but I couldn't really say. It's fiberglass and definitely larger than my DP 96.

Curiously, even though it's larger, it's much tighter than the DP, because the cheeks are much deeper and the recessed back panel presses hard against the back of my neck...  :-\

Do you think this one will do the trick?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2009, 09:52 AM by Jorg Mereel »

Taglar Dreskk

• Jon Nichols
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
    • Awards
Easy trick to remove some room.  Cut out the keyslot rectangle...the whole thing.  Then replace it with a flat version made out of sintra or something.  It'll help give you another inch or so between the cheeks and the back of the head.

MERC #0008 | MAJIC #0012 | VRCA #0018 | BEARDS #0003
Mercs Codex Review Comittee 2013-Present
Rancor Clan Ruus'alor 2013-Present
Mercs Forum Administrator / Communications Officer 2007-2012
Founding Member of Rancor Clan
36 career invasions

Jorg Mereel

• There are far worse things awaiting man than death
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
Easy trick to remove some room.  Cut out the keyslot rectangle...the whole thing.  Then replace it with a flat version made out of sintra or something.  It'll help give you another inch or so between the cheeks and the back of the head.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing something like that... I even thought about covering the resulting hole with some kind of "mosquito net" for added ventilation...

Thanks for the tip! I think this helmet will definitely do the job...

Cheers!

DeltaSquadBoss

• formerly zevfett
    • M-DSB PROPS
    • Awards
People wanted to see how our M-DSB MERCENARY Buy'ce compared in size to a  "Mystery" helmet.

"MYSTERY" on Left and               OUR M-DSB "MERCENARY" V1 (Med/Lg) on right.

HERE IS THE LARGER VERSION of the MERCENARY V2 (Lg/XL)
Please excuse the Bondo on the larger version since we are "cleaning it up" for the Master Mold

"MYSTERY" on Left and      OUR on MERCENARY V2 ON RIGHT

BOTH VERSIONS OF THE M-DSB "MERCENARY" TOGETHER

The M-DSB "MERCENARY" V1 (Med/LG)  and on the right The M-DSB "MERCENARY" V2 (LG/XL)

Hope this helps my fellow Vode!  ;)

OYA!!!
DSB

For more info on our M-DSB Mercenary Buy'ce go to our thread and read the reviews.
http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=17499.0
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2009, 12:30 AM by DeltaSquadBoss »
Visit our  M-DSB Props website:

http://www.wix.com/MDSBprops/M-DSB-PROPS
--------
Member of...
Oya Vode!
Clonetroopers.net
Dented Helmet
Facebook

DeltaSquadBoss

• formerly zevfett
    • M-DSB PROPS
    • Awards
I'd like to add to my last post...
People also wanted to know about the materials we use and the thickness of our M-DSB MERCENARY Helmets.

Sgt. Fang "Mystery" Helmet

Our M-DSB "MERCENARY" Buy'ce!

All of our Buy'ce's are Hand sculpted. We use our own Resin Hybrid Mix that seems to be more resistant than most store bought resins and then we Roto-cast it in 4 layers to add to the durability of our buckets.

I hope this answers those that were asking.
Thanks!
DSB
Visit our  M-DSB Props website:

http://www.wix.com/MDSBprops/M-DSB-PROPS
--------
Member of...
Oya Vode!
Clonetroopers.net
Dented Helmet
Facebook

Taglar Dreskk

• Jon Nichols
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
    • Awards
Wow...those things are nice and thick!

MERC #0008 | MAJIC #0012 | VRCA #0018 | BEARDS #0003
Mercs Codex Review Comittee 2013-Present
Rancor Clan Ruus'alor 2013-Present
Mercs Forum Administrator / Communications Officer 2007-2012
Founding Member of Rancor Clan
36 career invasions

Does anyone have a BradleyFett bucket? Is it 1:1?

I think I might be related to Scorch, or maybe Fi.
How do you say "smartass" in Mando'a?

Hondo Karr

• Formerly 'Falin Skirata'
  • Head Shot Props formerly Skirata Arms
  • Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
Does anyone have a BradleyFett bucket? Is it 1:1?

I did have one for a time.It is 1:1. It needs alot of reenforcing though.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Costuming Blog
    • Awards
I'm cross posting this to my Commando helmet thread as well. Here are two pics I took of the Commando in comparison to my 2-piece. As I stated in my first post (of the Commando thread), these helmets are small! I don't want you guys to go out and buy one thinking it'll fit only to find out it's too small for your frame.

Front:

Back:

Face to Face:

Back to Back:

Opening:

I'm not really sure what measurements you guys may be looking for, but the ones I got (that I consider important *chuckle*) are these:

Opening - roughly 26" (compare this to the 2 piece, which I measured at about 29". .like I said, the commando scrapes my ears as I pull it on)
Interior rim - actually came out pretty close to the opening size of 26". Was maybe off by about half an inch or so, depending on where you pick the rim to be (I measured along the raised parts of the inside of the helmet since, if your head can't get past those, then you're in trouble)
Height (not the elongated visor area in the front) - roughly 8 1/2" (could be an inch or two more depending on where you pick the top to measure from. . I tried to eye where you would logically stop seeing if you were looking at a profile of the bucket at your own height)
Exterior circumference - About 29". This includes the ear portions, and, really, isn't as important a the interior for whether or not your head can fit it. *chuckle* Just figured somebody might want to know.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010, 04:21 PM by Kora Solusar »
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosč

Side to side (front facing one side, the backs facing the other) and of the interior (so we can see the opening in the bottom size wise) and measurements in general would be awesome!
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
    • Costuming Blog
    • Awards
Side to side (front facing one side, the backs facing the other) and of the interior (so we can see the opening in the bottom size wise) and measurements in general would be awesome!

Done. :)
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosč

Hmm... So roughly the same size as a two piece, with a few variances.
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Arketh

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
Well, I don't have any other buckets to compare it to, but I noticed that the assassin wasn't represented yet.

Inside measurements.
29" At the opening.
28.5" around at the brow
9" Crown(top) to back of neck (straight down, measured from centre of dome)
11" Crown to bottom of T Slot
9" Ear to Ear
10" Keyslot to T-Visor

And some quick size compared to some common household objects.

55m roll of duct tape and a 341ml bottle of beer for comparison purposes only :P
"You know, that's not a good idea. Let me get my camera."
Late Era Costume in progress:
My Armor Thread
My Helmet Thread

Beviin Atin Eparavu

• Barrel Eparavu. Disgruntled clone and general jerk
    • Rustcrust's Blog
    • Awards
Yep ima need an XL.
._____.
Wow it looks kinda... thin? is it as brittle as it looks? Im afraid im gonna break the thing.

Disregard that it was the angle XD
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2010, 07:44 PM by Beviin »

Daddy will always love his little girl. I miss you, Jenny.

Hondo Karr

• Formerly 'Falin Skirata'
  • Head Shot Props formerly Skirata Arms
  • Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
i have a pic of me wearing the assassin in armor. i'll put it up side x side with me in my krayt dragon helmet so you can get a visual reference on a body. i would think this helmet is better suited for people with narrower frames.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!