Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Questions on painting.  (Read 100 times)

Questions on painting.
« on: Nov 11, 2014, 02:18 AM »
As the title implies, I have some questions about painting. I am very close to painting my first helmet. So far what I've read was that you apply a primer coat, a metallic coat, followed  by some masking fluid where I want to the metallic coat to show, then followed by my colors. As I've been reading through the forums, I see talk about a "false primer" coat. I want to get my paint job done correctly. So, my question is what exactly is a false primer coat? is it required? What are the pros and cons to a false primer coat?

Re: Questions on painting.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2014, 04:15 AM »
A false primer is a primer type/color paint that goes directly over the metallic coat to give the illusion of a primer coat on metal. It is not required, it does add a touch more realism and depth to the weathering however. A good way to make it really pop is unmask your damage after each coat and overlap onto some of your false primer before you paint your main coat so it shows through. You can check out my helmet thread to see how i did it and how it looks. Hope this helped  ;D
"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

Re: Questions on painting.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Thanks for the information Vinthiz, I'm actually working with a headshot prop myself.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!