Mandalorian Mercs Costume Guidelines
In response to the increasing membership and interest in the Mandalorian Mercs, it has become necessary to codify certain minimum costume requirements for admission into the Mercs. As such, the Cuy’val Dar Council has discussed and ratified the following guidelines.
The Mandalorian Mercs Council reserves the right to change these standards as they see fit. With each change, an announcement will be made via the forums.
Required Components for LATE/CRUSADER ERA COSTUME:
Individuals must have ALL required components before official membership will be granted. These requirements refer to those of the LATE/CRUSADER ERA Mandalorians. Standard Mando helmets and body armor WILL NOT classify you for this category. All armor must have "crusader era" look to it, reference pics are available in the KOTOR comics and on the forum.
- Full helmet with visor of "T", "TT", or "+" style that cannot be seen through from front.
- Must LOOK like a mandalorian helmet from late/crusader era or designed similarly. Please try to either exactly duplicate, or heavily base your helmet design after those in the reference pics.
- Masks are NOT acceptable for this era.
- Use of clone helmets or modern era Mando helmets are NOT acceptable.
- Chest/body armor:
- Modern-era chest armor is NOT acceptable for this era.
- MUST be fitted and spaced correctly depending on armor/body type.
- Sports armor is only acceptable for this era of costuming if it has been highly modified to no longer look like sports armor.
- Use of leather straps are reccommended for this era.
- Use of reference pics provided is highly reccommended. There are many different designs for the crusader era armor. Basing your designs off an already published design is your best option.
- Groin must have hard or padded armor covering (can be replaced with loin cloth).
- Use of lower body armor is highly reccommended, but not required.
- Gauntlets/arm coverings:
- Some form of armor or covering on the lower arms (gauntlets, hard bracers, gloves, and quality handwraps).
- Gauntlets with weapons, hoses, etc are reccommended for this era.
- Modern era gauntlets are NOT acceptable.
- Back covering:
- Some form of back covering (backpack, back armor, cape, cloak, etc.)
- Jetpacks are acceptable in this era.
- Modern era "Boba/Jango style" jetpacks are NOT acceptable.
- Shoulder armor:
- Use of shoulder armor is required. Many designs are acceptable.
- At least one weapon of late/crusader style (not modern-looking).
- Ancient melee weapons and ancient style blasters are acceptable.
- Modern era weapons are NOT acceptable.
Acceptable armor material:
Sintra, Kydex, PVC, ABS, Styrene, Fiberglass, Metal, Fiberglassed/resined paper board, Leather
Acceptable armor attachment methods:
Velcro, Magnets, Snaps, Bolts, Rivets, Strapping (leather and nylon strapping may be exposed; elastic strapping must be concealed EXCEPT on knees, elbows, and "Boba Thongs" where they must be color matched to flight suit)
Unacceptable armor attachment methods:
Lightsabers: Lightsaber/darksaber hilts may be worn as trophies or tools. No full bladed lightsabers/darksabers may be carried unless your character is portraying an *in-canon* lightsaber/darksaber wielding mando (i.e., Bardan Jusik, Kad Skirata, Pre Viszla).
- Armor/flak vest:
- NOT a required element in this era. Armor can be attached directly to flight suit or strapped onto body.
- T-shirt vests are not acceptable as armor vests.
- Ensure vest is properly fitted/tailored for you. Baggy and over-sized vests are not acceptable.
- Flight suit:
- You must have a properly fitted/tailored flight suit or comparable under-armor clothing.
- One or two piece flight suit designs are acceptable.
- Non-flight suit style under-armor clothing must be comparable to a flight suit (We should not be able to tell the difference).
- Fully "sealed" flight suits are required for this era. Sleeveless or bare arms are NOT acceptable.
- Capes, kamas, and loin cloths:
- Soft back coverings can be substituted for back armor pieces as long as they add to the overall look of the applicant's armor.
- Full/half capes are acceptable as long as they cover the entire back area (No armor vest should be showing).
- Soft/hard backpacks/packs are acceptable alternatives.
- Loin cloths and kamas are acceptable
- Loin cloths should be worn UNDER the belt or waist sash.
- Ammo belt and pouches:
- You must have either an ammo/girth/holster belt or waist sash, or any combination of these four items.
- Leather, leather-like, and cloth tie materials, pouches, ammo holsters, weapon holsters, bandoliers are acceptable.
- Visible plastic clips/belt closures are NOT acceptable.
- Combat/Utility boots are considered the primary accepted boot for armor.
- Labels and brand names should be removed or covered.
- Shoe-laces should be covered with armor or some sort of boot/ankle spat.
- High heels/stiletto female boots are not acceptable mandalorian armor attire. Platform boots are acceptable.
These items are not required, but are included as additional suggested costume components.
- Neck Seal
- Use of mythosaur skull (Jaing or Mercs) in armor design
- Armor weathering (stains, dirt, dust)
- Use of Mando'a lettering and phrases on armor.
- Leather straps or pouches, bandoliers or ammo belts.
||The DON’T List:
These items/concepts should not be used in your custom Mandalorian costume character.
- No soft armor/Halloween costumes/Mando pajamas
- No tennis shoes/sneakers
- No visible zippers or closures on flight suit/under-armor for this era.
- No jeans, t-shirts, sweat suits, etc. used as under-armor
- No Jedi-Mandos or Sith-Mandos. “Force-adept” or “Force-sensitive” Mandos are acceptable.
- No stiletto boots. Platform boots are acceptable.
- No modern era helmets, gauntlets, or chest armor.
- No visible nylon or elastic strapping.
- No visible shoe laces or zippers. Belts are acceptable shoe closures.
- No "modern" or "common" off the shelf camo patterns may be used. Camo patterns allowed must be uncommon, vintage, or in-universe and will be highly scrutinized during the application process. Officially barred "off the shelf" camo patterns: Woodland, Tiger Stripe, 3 Color Desert, MARPAT, Real Tree, Mossy Oak, ACU, Urban, 6 Color Desert, Swiss Alpineflague, and MultiCam.
- No contemporary technology unless hidden or cleverly disguised. (Examples: Exposed IPods, Iphones, Cell phones, Calculators, PDAs, or Palm devices)